Some psychology, some sadness, some funnies.



Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Petty Damages

Back in August I had the privilege of traveling to the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation in South Dakota as a chaperone for ten high school students on a community service trip. It was wondrous, spiritual and transforming.

But this blog is about some asshole I ran into at the airport on the way back.

This morning I get a call from an insurance agent telling me that the man whose van I backed into when pulling up to the Rapid City airport for departure was filing a medical claim. He was behind his vehicle when I carelessly rammed into the front of it, and the rear bumper collided with his leg. This guy was pretty easy going. Favored his leg but didn't make a huge deal out of it at the time.

The douche-baggery to which I'm currently referring was from a Sturgis leftover heading home on an airplane instead of his bike like a pansy. The alarming crack-thud that resulted from my inattention brought me shakily out of the SUV and toward the other driver. As I walked to the rear of my vehicle, this cocky white-boy voice came from my left: "Hey, you know you almost just ran that guy over". The interjection carried not a tone of worried concern, but a smirking, accusatory emphasis that waited to see my reaction. At that point I had no information on what had occurred behind me, so I think I just gave him a brief glance, mouth agape, and continued on.

So here's one of those internal dialogues people generate as a fanciful redress of a missed opportunity. Always wanted to put one of these in writing.

"Oh thank god you were here! I never would have found out what happened and nothing would have been solved! And since I'm mentally impaired, even if I had gotten the story from someone I would have no real sense of its meaning or severity. I mean, you can't be sure that someone driving a car full of young adults that are under her care would feel like total shit when she backs into a poor, unsuspecting man, right? So you gotta make sure she feels like total shit! Like I said man, I don't know what would have happened if you hadn't been walking by. Thank you so much."

What a dick.

No comments:

Post a Comment